In honor of Texas Independence Day, I (with the help of my fiancé) created a list of 178 reasons why I love Texas. Enjoy!
178 reasons why I love Texas: (in no particular order)
1. We’re big. Basically the biggest because no one remembers Alaska.
4. Rodeo season
5. Floatin the river
7. The hill country
8. We’re the only state that’s been a country too.
9 & 10. 6 flags over Texas, both the actual flags and the theme parks.
11. Austin is the live music capital of the world
12. We have the most recognized state shape
14. Blue bell ice cream
16. I’ll even credit Lone Star for the broke college kids out there.
17. Texas State University
18. The University of Texas
20. H-town… For giving us Beyoncé.
21. Big Tex
22. The Texas state fair
23. We can fry anything!
24. Matthew McConaughey
25. Tommy Lee Jones
26. Texas country music
27. George Strait
29. NASA - Houston, we have a problem
30. & 31. George Bush. (Both of em)
34. The river walk
35. The Alamo
36. Come and take it
38. Wurst fest
39. & 40. The Texas Rangers! (Baseball and Walker)
41. Dublin dr pepper
42. No state income tax
44. Willie Nelson started here
46. The Astrodome - the 8th wonder of the world
47. Czech stop
48. Small towns AND big cities
54. We say y’all
55. The gristmill
56. Gruene Hall
57. ZZ Top
58. & 59. Selena (THE Selena and Gomez)
60. South Congress
61. Very mild winter (usually)
62. Long, hot summers!
64. Big hair
65. Other big colleges include A&M, Tech, Baylor… etc etc
67. San Antonio
68. El Paso… It’s closer to California than Houston, but we still love it.
69. Breakfast tacos (Juan in a Million and Lolita’s!)
70. Southern hospitality
71. Sam Houston
72. Nolan Ryan
73. Astros - Biggio, Bagwell, and Berkman
74. Rockets - Olijawon, Charles Barkley, Clyde Drexler
75. Texans (because we love JJ.)
76. Paul Wall
77. Eli Young Band
78. Our flag
80. The Undertaker
81. Jim Parsons
83. Stone cold Steve Austin
84. Every type of terrain - city, country, desert, valley, hill country… Everything!
85. Jim Bowie
86. Washington on the Brazos
87. Tornado alley… It’s unfortunate, but if you’re gonna get tornados, might as well get the most, right?
89. Austin is home to the largest bat colony in Texas
90. Our largest county is the same size as Connecticut (see number 1)
91. The ship channel
92. Davy Crockett - “y’all can go to hell and I’m goin to Texas”
94. “The stars at night are big and bright…”
95. The first word spoken on the moon was Houston.
96. San Jacinto monument
97. Houston Medical Center
98. Worst natural disaster to happen to the US happened in Galveston in 1900. Again, not great, but still at the top.
99. Dell computers started in Austin
100. The Heisman trophy is named after Rice university’s first full time coach.
101. We are The Lone Star State
103. We’re real good at cooking red meat
104. Actually, we could probably find you really good food for any kind of food you want in Texas
105. The Dallas cowboys - Americas team
106. The Dallas cowboys cheerleaders
107. The Rio Grande river
108. The Guadelupe River
111. Dennis Quaid
112. Michael Strahan
113. Earl Campbell
117. Sandy Cheeks
118. My favorite episode of spongebob is about Texas
119. Texas wines
121. Miranda Lambert
122. When conversations include “bless her heart…”
123. God blessed Texas
124. We’re basically required to own boots.
125. We have the right to leave the US but we are nice enough (and smart enough) to stay
126. Our accent
127. The trail ride through the city to kick off the rodeo
128. The weather is as spontaneous (or irritating) as me
129. My husband was born here
130. Technically, our flag is the only flag that can fly as high as the US flag (see number 8)
131. We have the largest Capitol building
132. Our Texas constitution states we have the right to divide ourself into 4 states
133. We have the 11th largest economy in the world
134. The first rodeo was in…you guessed it, TEXAS!
135. We invented the hamburger
136. Julio’s salsa!
137. Largest wool producer in US
138. People are flocking to live here… We have several of the fastest growing cities currently
139. Another negative, but we’re the best at it.. We produce the most greenhouse gases in the US
140. We have the second largest population, but I don’t like California (#1) so I’m claiming that California doesn’t exist and that makes us número uno.
141. Kirko Bangz. But only because he went to my high school
142. Ronnie Dunn
143. Carol Burnett
144. George Jones
145. Mike Jones (who’s probably related to George)
146. Patrick Swayze… RIP
147. We beat up Santa Anna
148. The Gulf of Mexico. It ain’t pretty, but it gets work done!
149. Seeing people take pictures on the side of the highway in bluebonnet patches
151. South Padre Island
152. Barton Springs
153. And if we are talkin about springs, Aquarena Springs
154. The Dallas Mavericks
155. The Chupacabra
156. We killed Bigfoot here recently…
157. Farrah Fawcett
158. Apparently, we also invented frozen margaritas!
159. Big Bend National Park
160. Garner State Park
161. Enchanted Rock
162. The Spurs
163. Eva Longoria
164. Steve Martin and his banjo.
165. The largest renaissance festival in the US
166. Houston rap (WANNA BE A BALLA)
167. We wave at our neighbors when we drive by
168. We say “Don’t mess with Texas” and we can back it up
169. World championship BBQ cook off
170. People not from Texas have the idea that we are supposed to ride horses everywhere
171. The San Jacinto monument is larger than the Washington Monument… We subtly like to show we are better than Washington.
172. Hot wingz! (Personally, bonfire wings and their boudin balls)
173. We built the first hotel completely over water, The Flagship… which was unfortunately wrecked during Ike.
174. Southern belles
175. Because of our cool shape, we have awesome Texas shaped everything from cookie cutters or waffle irons to cutting boards… You name it, we got it. It’s even the shape of some really cool tattoos (especially ones on people’s ribs.)
176. Texas Hold Em
177. All my best friends were born here! And love Texas as much as I do.
178. I was born here!!!